(Last Updated On: February 18, 2020)
Sequence question is one out of nine eLearning questions that can be easily created in ActivePresenter 7. The question contains a list of items presented to learners in the incorrect order. It requires learners to place these items from the beginning to the end in the right order, following some specific rules. If you are interested in this question type, keep reading to know how to create a Sequence question in ActivePresenter.
Overview of Sequence QuestionsA Sequence question is also known as a “ranking” or an “ordering” question. It requires learners to drag and drop items in the correct sequence. In this question type, all items must be in the proper order to be graded as correct. In other words, the answer is considered as correct only when all items are in order. Sequence questions are useful when you want to test learners on a procedure or process. Below is an example of a Sequence question. This example asks learners to put numbers in the ascending order:
Create Sequence QuestionsNow, it’s time to learn how to create Sequence questions in ActivePresenter 7.
Insert a Sequence QuestionTo insert a Sequence question, do any of the following:
- In the Interactions tab > Sequence .
- In the Home tab > Interactions > Sequence.
A Sequence question slide has three parts. The top text box (1) is where to add the question title. The answer area (2) contains five answer labels by default. The Submit button (4) is located at the bottom of the slide. Note: To change the tab order value, first select the question. Then, access the Properties pane > Interactivity > General. For next steps, see Using Tab Order.
Customize a Sequence QuestionYou can customize a Sequence question by following one or more option(s) below:
- Add more answer labels: Select the answer area (2) and click the green circle button (3) to add more.
- Delete answer labels: Select one or more answer label(s) and press DELETE on your keyboard. Or, right-click answer label(s) and select Delete.
- Resize the question: Select the whole question and drag the resizing handles. Alternatively, access the Properties pane > Size & Properties > Transform > type values in the Width and Height boxes. When you’re done with this, if you want to restore the original size, right-click the question and select Reset Placeholder.
- Change question layout: At first, select the answer area. Then, go to the Properties pane > Size & Properties > Group Layout. You will see that the Grid mode is always selected by default. With this mode, you can change the layout by customizing its properties such as Number of Column, Horizontal Spacing, Vertical Spacing, and other Advanced Settings. However, if you select the None mode, these properties are faded and cannot be adjusted. The reason for that is the None mode allows you to freely change the size and position of any answer label just by dragging it. See Group Layout of Questions for more details.
- Edit answer labels: Free to format and style answer labels in the same way you do with a normal object. For example, you can add text to any answer labels.
- Add images to answer labels: Click any answer label. Then, in the Properties pane > Style & Effects > Fill > Image Fill. Click Select a background image from project (5) to insert an image from the current project. Or, click Import a background image from your computer (6) to import an image from your computer. If you want to remove it, simply click Remove the background image (7).
Tip: After customizing the question, right-click it and select Set as Default Sequence Question if you want to reuse. Then, this question appears each time you insert a new Sequence question.
Set Correct AnswersTo set the correct answer for a Sequence question, just drag and drop answer labels in the correct order. Kindly be noted that in the output, answer labels are shuffled randomly each time learners take the question.
Set Score & ReportingTo set scores and reporting for a Sequence question, select the answer area first. Then, go to the Properties pane > Interactivity > Score & Reporting:
This section provides a lot of useful options. For example, you can select Graded or Survey to create a graded or survey question. Besides, you can set points and number of attempts in this section. For more details, see Defining Score and Reporting for Interactive Questions.
Add Events and ActionsSequence questions have default events and actions. In the Graded mode, a Sequence question has three events: On Correct, On Incorrect, and On Timeout. However, it just has two events in the Survey mode, which are On Complete and On Timeout. If you’ve selected the Graded mode early on, this is what you’ll see:
In spite of default events and actions, ActivePresenter allows you to delete them, change them, make them more advanced as you wish. To do that, first, select the answer area. Then, go to the Properties pane > Interactivity > Events – Actions. See Working with Events – Actions to learn more.