Drag-n-Drop questions are also known as matching questions. In the traditional form, this question type consists of two columns, in which learners are required to match items in one column to items in the other column.
In ActivePresenter 8, these two columns are replaced by drag sources and drop targets, which are considered as key components of a Drag-n-Drop question. Each Drag-n-Drop question in ActivePresenter can have multiple drag sources and drop targets that require learners to match them correctly.
Using this question type, you can create many engaging games without consuming a lot of time and effort.
In ActivePresenter 8, Drag-n-Drop is the eighth question type that you can see in the Questions tab:
This tutorial will show you how to create a Drag-n-Drop question through 6 stages:
- Insert a Drag-n-Drop Question
- Customize a Drag-n-Drop Question
- Set Correct Answer
- Set Score and Reporting
- Add Events – Actions
- Customize Feedback Layers
Let’s start right now!
Insert a Drag-n-Drop Question
To insert a Drag-n-Drop question, do either of the following:
- In the Questions tab > Drag-n-Drop
- In the Home tab > Interactions > Drag-n-Drop
Then, you will see a new question slide inserted into your project as in the below image:
As you can see, a Drag-n-Drop question slide has three parts:
- (1) the top text box to add the question title;
- (2) the answer area with default drag sources, drop targets, and drag-drop connectors indicating the correct answers;
- (3) and the Submit button.
- A drag source has a green dashed boundary. Meanwhile, a drop target has an orange dashed boundary. These boundaries don’t appear in any output format but the editor.
- Drag-drop connectors (orange arrows) connecting the drag sources to the drop targets denote that dropping the drag source to the drop target is a correct action. These connectors appear by default but you can hide them by clicking the Drag-n-Drop button in the View tab.
- A drop target can accept one or multiple drag sources. If there is more than one accepted drag source, they may overlap each other when learners drop them into a drop target. To avoid this, you need to adjust the position and direction of the drop target.
- You can convert an object into a drop target or a drag source. Besides, you can change from a drag source to a drop target or vice versa. To do that, select an object or a drag source/ drop target, in the Properties pane > Interactivity tab > Drag-n-Drop > select Drag Source or Drop Target.
Customize a Drag-n-Drop Question
You can customize a Drag-n-Drop question in the same way you do with other question types in ActivePresenter.
In detail, you can:
- Change the container layout: Select the answer area, then navigate to the Properties pane > Size & Properties tab > Container Layout. In this section, ActivePresenter 8 offers you three options: None, Flex, or Grid. Select the layout mode that you want. Then, you can customize its properties.
See Container Layouts of Questions for more details.
- Resize the question title (1) and the answer area (2): You can resize these sections by selecting them and dragging the resizing handles. Or, select them, then go to the Properties pane > Size & Properties tab > Transform to adjust or type the value in the Width and Height combo box:
- Insert more drag sources and drop targets: Simply select the answer area (2) and click the plus button:
- Delete drag sources and drop targets: Select one or more drag sources and drop targets and press DELETE on your keyboard. Alternatively, right-click one and select Delete.
- Format drag sources and drop targets: Freely format drag sources and drop targets by selecting the answer area then opening the Format tab. Here, you can change their style by selecting one from the Quick Styles section. Or, you can use tools in the Style Tools tab to customize them as you wish.
- Edit/ Add text to drag sources and drop targets: Click the default text to add your text.
- Add images to drag sources and drop targets: Click the Image button to insert an image From File or From Project:
Tip: After customizing the question, right-click the answer area and select Set as Default Drag-n-Drop Question if you want to reuse it. By doing this way, the next time when you insert a new Drag-n-Drop question, this default question will appear.
Set Correct Answers for Drag-n-Drop Questions
In the simplest way, just click the drag source to show the marker , then drag it into the drop target. After that, the drag-drop connector appears as follows:
Besides, there is another way to set correct answers for a drop target by following these steps:
Step 1: Select a drop target.
Step 2: In the Properties pane > Interactivity tab > Drag-n-Drop > click to open the Accept List dialog.
As you can see, there are three columns in this dialog, including Accept, Correct, and Drag Source.
- Accept: Select one or more check boxes in this column to specify drag sources that can be dropped into the drop target. If you allow learners to drag all drag sources into the drop target, select Accept All.
- Correct: This column is meant for selecting drag sources as correct answers for the drop target. As a drop target can accept more than one correct answer, you can select many check boxes as you want.
- Drag Source: This column displays the names of all drag sources in the question.
Note that you can specify Effect and Snap Behaviour for the drop target. Generally, the procedure is similar to when you do that with Drop Area.
Set Score and Reporting
To set score and reporting for a Drag-n-Drop question, select the answer area of the question. Then, go to the Properties pane > Interactivity tab > Score & Reporting.
This section provides a lot of useful options to:
- (4) measure learners performance (select the Graded mode) or collect learners feedback or information (select the Survey mode);
- (5) track learners results;
- (6) mix up answer options when the question is presented to learners;
- (7) set points for correct answers;
- (8) set the maximum attempts that learners can interact with the question;
- (9) set a time limit which only allows learners to respond to the question in the given period of time.
For more details, see How to Create Interactive Quizzes.
Besides, if you want to set score for each drag source and drop target pair which learners match correctly, do these steps:
Step 1: In the Points drop-down list (7), select Partial. Then. in the Properties pane > Interactivity tab > Drag-n-Drop > click the button to open the Accept List dialog.
Now, this dialog now has an additional column called Points. Enter your desired point for each correct answer. When you’re done with this, click OK.
Add Events and Actions
ActivePresenter offers default events and actions for Drag-n-Drop questions. Generally, a Drag-n-Drop question has four default events for the Graded mode (On Correct, On Incorrect, On Incomplete, and On Timeout) and three for the Survey mode (On Complete, On Incomplete, and On Timeout).
If you’ve selected the Graded mode, here what you’ll see:
You can remove, change, or make events and actions for Drag-n-Drop questions more advanced as you wish. To do that, first, select the answer area. Then, access the Properties pane > Interactivity tab > Events – Actions.
See Work with Events – Actions to learn more.
Customize Feedback Layers
ActivePresenter automatically adds default feedback layers for Drag-n-Drop questions. These default feedback layers can be Correct Feedback, Incorrect Feedback, Try Again Feedback, Incomplete Feedback, and Timeout Feedback (for the Graded mode) or Complete Feedback, Incomplete Feedback, and Timeout Feedback (for the Survey mode). Bear in mind that you can delete, change, or add more if necessary.
See Use Feedback Layers to get more details.
Now, you’ve learnt how to use Drag-n-Drop questions in ActivePresenter 8. Download the app right now and start creating fun interactive quizzes.
Visit the following links if you want to know more about how to work with other types of questions in ActivePresenter: