Generally, sequence questions ask learners to arrange items in a sequence according to some rules. The below tutorial will guide you to create this question type in ActivePresenter.
Overview of Sequence Questions
A Sequence question is a graded or survey question which requires learners to drag and drop items in the correct sequence. Sometimes, it can also be described as a “ranking” or an “ordering” question. In this question type, all items must be in the proper order to be graded as correct. In other words, the answer is considered as correct only when all items are in order.
Sequence questions are useful when you want to test learners on a procedure or process. Below is an example of a Sequence question created with ActivePresenter 7. This example asks learners to put numbers in the ascending order.
Create Sequence Questions
Here’s how to create sequence questions in ActivePresenter 7.
Insert a Sequence Question
A Sequence question is inserted into your project as a new question slide. To insert it, do any of the following:
- In the Interactions tab > Sequence .
- In the Home tab > Interactions > Sequence.
Then, you see a question slide like this.
A Sequence question has three parts. The top text box is where to add the question title. The middle part contains answers. The third part has feedback messages and a Submit button.
Mind the following:
- Each Sequence question has five answers by default. You can remove them or add as many answers as you want.
- You’re free to edit the text for answers.
Note: To change the tab order value, first select the question. Then, access the Properties pane > Interactivity > General. For next steps, see Using Tab Order.
Customize a Sequence Question
To customize a Sequence question, do these:
- Add answers: Select the question and click the green button (1). Then, the app adds an answer towards the bottom.
- Delete answers: Select an answer and press DELETE. Or, right-click the answer and select Delete.
- Change question layout: Select the question. Then, go to the Properties pane > Size & Properties > Group Layout. You see the Grid mode is selected by default. To change the question layout, customize properties the way you want.
The Group Layout feature is useful to arrange each answer of the question in any position of the slide. See Group Layout of Questions for more details.
- Change answers’ position: Select the question. Then, go to the Properties pane > Size & Properties > Group Layout > None mode. After that, click and drag the answer to your desired position.
- Resize the question: Select the whole question and drag the resizing handles or access the Properties pane > Size & Properties > Transform > type values in the Width and Height boxes. When you’re done with this, if you want to restore the original size, right-click the question and select Reset Placeholder.
- Edit answers: Free to format and style answers like you do with a normal object such as adding text and changing shape.
- Add images to answers: Click an answer. Then, in the Properties pane > Style & Effects > Fill > Image Fill. Click From Project… or From File… to insert an image from the current project or your file system.
Tip: After customizing the question, right-click it and select Set as Default Sequence Question. Then, this question appears each time you insert a new Sequence question.
Set Correct Answers
When editing answers, you can drag and drop them to change the correct order. The correct answer is the final order of answers in the edit phase. In the output, answers are shuffled randomly each time learners take the question.
Set Score & Reporting
To set scores and reporting for a Sequence question, select the question first. Then, go to the Properties pane > Interactivity > Score & Reporting. This shows you the Score & Reporting section like this.
This section provides a lot of useful options. For example, you can select Graded or Survey to create a graded or survey question. Besides, the facilities to set points and number of attempts are available here. For more details, see Defining Score and Reporting for Interactive Questions.
Note: Sequence questions don’t support partial scoring.
Add Events and Actions
Sequence questions have default events and actions. But you can change them or make them more advanced as you wish.
To do that, first, select the question. Then, go to the Properties pane > Interactivity > Events – Actions. If you’ve selected the Graded mode early on, this is what you’ll see.
In the Graded mode, a Sequence question has three events: On Correct, On Incorrect, and On Timeout. However, it just has two events: On Complete and On Timeout in the Survey mode.
See Working with Events – Actions to learn more.
Insert Feedback Messages
The app offers default feedback messages for this question type. However, you’re free to remove or add messages if you want. So, you can show your feedback in the right place at the right time. See Working with Feedback Messages to get more details.
That’s all about how to work with Sequence questions in ActivePresenter 7. Try it today, and feel free to contact us if you need any help.