ActivePresenter gives you many types of eLearning question to assess learners’ performance. Fill in Multiple Blanks questions are among them. This tutorial shows you how to use this question type in detail.
Overview of Fill in Multiple Blanks Questions
Basically, a Fill in Multiple Blanks question is much like a Fill in Blank question. For example, it can also be a graded or survey question. But it has some considerable differences as shown below:
- It can have more than one phrase, statement, or paragraph.
- It contains multiple blank text boxes where learners enter text as their answers.
With these in mind, this question type gives you more freedom to design quizzes. That is, you can remove or add as many text boxes as you want. You can even change their positions to make your desired quizzes.
Below is an example of a Fill in Multiple Blanks questions.
Create a Fill in Multiple Blanks Question
Now is the time to learn how to work with Fill in Multiple Blanks questions in ActivePresenter.
Insert a Fill in Multiple Blanks Question
A Fill in Multiple Blanks question is inserted into your project as a new question slide. To insert it, do any of the following:
- In the Interactions tab > Fill in Multiple Blanks .
- In the Home tab > Interactions > Fill in Multiple Blanks.
Then, you see a question slide like this.
A Fill in Multiple Blanks question has three parts. The top text box is where to add the question title. The middle part contains an answer field. The third part has feedback messages and a Submit button.
Besides, a Fill in Multiple Blanks question has four blank text boxes by default. But you can add as many text boxes as you want.
Note: To change the tab order value, first select the question. Then, access the Properties pane > Interactivity > General. For next steps, see Using Tab Order.
Customize a Fill in Multiple Blanks Question
To customize a Fill in Multiple Blanks question, do these:
- Add blank text boxes: Select the question and click the green button (1). Then, the app adds a pair of text box and answer label towards the bottom.
- Delete a text box: Select a text box and press DELETE. Or, right-click the text box and select Delete.
- Change question layout: Select the question. Then, go to the Properties pane > Size & Properties > Group Layout. You see the Grid mode is selected by default. To change the question layout, customize properties the way you want.
- Change text boxes’ position: Select the question. Then, go to the Properties pane > Size & Properties > Group Layout > None mode. After that, click and drag the text box to your desired position.
- Resize the question: Select the whole question and drag the resizing handles or access the Properties pane > Size & Properties > Transform > type values in the Width and Height boxes. When you’re done with this, if you want to restore the original size, right-click the question and select Reset Placeholder.
- Edit text boxes: Free to format and style text boxes like you do with a normal text box object. See Working with Text Box for more details.
- ActivePresenter has a facility to define the question layout. To learn the technique, see Group Layout of Questions.
- After customizing the question/text box, right-click it and select Set as Default Fill in Multiple Blanks Question/Set as Default Text Box). Then, this question/text box appears each time you insert a new Fill in Multiple Blanks question/text box.
Set Correct Answer
To set a correct answer for each text box, first select the text box. Then, follow the steps below. Note that the app allows you to set more than one correct answer for each text box.
Step 1: In the Properties pane > Interactivity > General.
Step 2: Click Add Value (2) to show a blank box. Then, type your text into this box.
To delete an answer, click Remove (3).
- You can type anything to the box, from alphabet to special characters.
- Apart from typing the answer, you can copy and paste text from other places to the box.
Set Score & Reporting
To set score & reporting for the whole question, select the question first. Then, go to the Properties pane > Interactivity > Score & Reporting.
This section lets you select Graded or Survey to create a graded or survey question. You can also set points, number of attempts, and timeout from here. See Defining Score and Reporting for Interactive Questions for more information.
To set a score for each correct answer, do as follows:
Step 1: Select Partial in the Points drop-down list.
Step 2: Select any blank text box.
Step 3: In the Properties pane > Interactivity > Score & Reporting. Select a point from the Points drop-down list. Or, enter your desired point.
Besides, the app offers some additional options:
- Password Field: Make the answer as a password field. Then, entered characters will be shown as asterisks.
- Case Sensitive: Select this option to make uppercase and lowercase characters to be treated differently. In other words, learners have to exactly enter each letter of a word as required.
- Variable: Define the variable to take place. See Understanding Variables for more details.
Add Events – Actions
Fill in Multiple Blanks questions have default events and actions. But you can change them or make them more advanced as you wish.
To do that, select the question early on. Then, go to the Properties pane > Interactivity > Events – Actions.
Generally, a Fill in Multiple Blanks question has four events: On Correct, On Incorrect, On Incomplete, and On Timeout. See Working with Events – Actions to learn more.
Insert Feedback Messages
The app offers default feedback messages for this question type. However, you’re free to remove them or add more if you want. So, you can display your feedback in the right place at the right time. See Working with Feedback Messages to get more details.
That’s how to work with Fill in Multiple Blanks questions in ActivePresenter 7. Don’t forget to use this eLearning question in your future projects.